Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Why Living With A Chronic Medical Condition Is Awesome

I have a chronic condition, but I'm not sick.

Sometimes when people first meet and interact with me they ask what's wrong with me as they notice my differences. Truth is nothing is wrong but at the same time something is wrong. I have physical and visual deficits and those are chronic conditions that I've lived with for my entire life and will live with until my time on this lovely Earth is up. Am I sick? Technically no. Do I have a chronic condition? Absolutely.

Some other people ask me if I ever feel sorry for myself and the things I miss out on like driving a car and I think it'd be a lie to say I don't think about how my vision keeps me from driving but in all honesty I'd rather not drive than risk being visually distracted by something I find interesting like shiny things or whatever and die on the road. But when you take a step back, living with a chronic condition can be awesome.

I can carry a cane like my favorite TV character and no one questions me. I can register for my classes and housing early. I can have computer software that talks to me if I want (which is really cool!). I can skip lines at theme parks. The list goes on and honestly I think these things make up for the one or two things I'm missing.

I have a problem with the words 'disabled' and 'differently abled' as both seem derogatory in nature to me. I'm not 'differently abled' I'm just a different kind of girl. I'm not "disabled" either- I'm able at a lot of things and there are some things I can't do just like everyone else. I'm a human being with her own talents and flaws like everybody and I think these labels should be exterminated from our vocabulary.

A few nights ago I was having dinner with my friends Tori and Amber and we were talking about Tori's left handedness and how Amber and I can only do some things with that hand since we are righties. Amber said, "Well I can write with my left hand" or something like that I can't remember. I'm a sarcastic humor kind of girl so I say, "Well some days I can hold a fork with my left hand" but apparently Amber didn't understand this was sarcasm so she felt really bad and I laughed if off telling her please not to feel bad- I was simply making a joke.

So back on topic, why would I want to be like everybody else? Be weird because normal is so boring and it really doesn't exist. And if it technically doesn't exist than why are we telling people who are different that they should be something that isn't real? It's like saying, "Hey, you'd be better as a unicorn, okay?" No.

That's really why my life rocks. Because it's different, unique to me, and pretty damn beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. HOW i got a cure for stroke
    I really want to take this time out to show my appreciation to a doctor who advised me correctly. I had stroke for 18 years and my full left side was paralyzed because of this i could say i was half human because i could not function where others are functioning. I knew i needed help and i began to search and i saw his contact from a testimony some people were giving, i never believed because i have tried so many medicines and therapies yet no cure. I still contacted him to see what he had to offer. I got the medicine (herbal medication) he told me about and i could not believe my eyes. In a matter of 3 months i was completely okay. If you have any stroke related illness or paralysis feel free to reach him for info and cure on (josephalberteo@gmail.com) he treated me and he can treat you too. cheers.

    ReplyDelete